(St. Louis, MO) — Ronald Hartenberg is angry that some of the free articles he has been reading on his favorite website simply don’t appeal to him. “It’s frustrating,” Mr. Hartenberg says. “I mean, I love and agree with about 97% of what they publish, but the other 3% or so… ugh! It makes me so mad, I am thinking of unfollowing them on Facebook.”

When asked why he doesn’t simply skip those articles he doesn’t like, Mr. Hartenberg replied: “It’s not that easy. See, those articles still appear in my newsfeed, and it’s really hard not to look at them. I almost can’t help myself as I scroll through my feed endlessly. I often end up seeing them a few times a day. Sometimes the title just really irritates me, and in the heat of the moment, I just don’t want to have anything to do with the site again.”

“Why can’t they think exactly the way I think on every issue and in every detail? I know they have, like, hundreds of authors, but I hold the site as a whole responsible for deviating from my settled opinions on any given issue.”

Mr. Hartenberg was last seen trying to figure out how to cancel his free, non-password-protected, all-access rights to the site in an effort to make a clear, unambiguous statement of displeasure to the editors.

The Imaginative Conservative applies the principle of appreciation to the discussion of culture and politics—we approach dialogue with magnanimity rather than with mere civility. We also sometimes add a dose of humor to our journal in the great tradition of Western satirists like Erasmus of Rotterdam, John Dryden, and Jonathan Swift. Will you help us remain a refreshing oasis in the increasingly contentious arena of modern discourse? Please consider donating now.

The featured image is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

All comments are moderated and must be civil, concise, and constructive to the conversation. Comments that are critical of an essay may be approved, but comments containing ad hominem criticism of the author will not be published. Also, comments containing web links or block quotations are unlikely to be approved. Keep in mind that essays represent the opinions of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Imaginative Conservative or its editor or publisher.

Leave a Comment
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Voiced by Amazon Polly